Friday, February 27, 2009

More movement to Open Source

I’ve decided to take yet another leap, deep into the world of Open Source.  This year I will be replacing all of our Cisco PIX and VPN infrastructure with pfSense and OpenVPN.  I’ve been contemplating this for quite awhile, but have only recently decided to take the plunge.  pfSense, if you haven’t heard of it, is an Open Source firewall based on FreeBSD.image

After spending time reading about Untangle, Astaro, Smoothwall and m0n0wall I’ve decided that pfSense is probably the best based upon my needs.  I’ll be running it from a repurposed server with VmWare ESXi.  This will allow me some portability in case the box dies an untimely death as well as giving me the opportunity to put some other items on the same hardware for my dmz.  I’m sure I’ll be blogging about this as I go so stay tuned as I squeeze more money out of my budget with great Open Source software.

No comments: