Monday, July 20, 2009

Open Source Software in Production

I was talking to a friend on the phone today about Open Source Software.  He was wondering what stuff I actually use in production.  I figured I’d take a minute and document the stuff that I personally use and we as a Firm use.  Here’s the list I came up with after a few minutes. I’m sure we use more…this is just the stuff I could think of:

nagios
cacti
pfsense
syslogd
phplogcon
wireshark
nmap
mediawiki
apache
php
FireFox
TrueCrypt
putty
FileZilla
FileTransfer Device
greenshot
VLC
UltraVNC
UltraVNC SC
7Zip
Audacity
NotePad++
WinSCP
Snare
Alfresco
OpenOffice
MySQL
PHPMyAdmin
OpenVPN
Password Safe
IPTables
OSSEC
Logwatch
PDFCreator
Blat!

We are pretty much standardized on CentOS as our distro of choice.  I won’t get too religious on the reasons why other then to say the decision was made based upon cost, performance, security  and what is built into the kernel as far as drivers go.  The two commercial apps we run on CentOS are CommVault (media agents) and Kayako SupportSuite.

So there you have it.

No comments: