Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Ubuntu Ultimate 2.0

So we seem to have coughed up a few old Dell D800 laptops last year after upgrading some of our users.  When I heard we had a few available, I remembered that they had pretty nice screens and a medium grade video card baked in so I thought it might make a nice box to try Ubuntu Ultimate on.  You see, I like Ubuntu for the desktop, but having to load all the goodies on is a real pain in the butt.  That’s why I like this distro so much. It’s got tons of toys and tools and it’s all preloaded.  So I imagedownloaded, burned and kick started the iso.  Everything went pretty smooth all things considered.  There was a little tweaking with System-Preferences-Appearance (to crank up the video effects) which prompted it to download some NVidia drivers, but that went smooth.  The box is a little slow as it’s only got 512MB of RAM but it’s sufficient to test out all the cool stuff like Beryl/Compbiz, Wine, Filezilla, Wireshark, etc… 

So it’s been about a week so far and I’ve only found one issue and I’m sure it’s just me being dense. I can’t seem to create or delete items from the desktop. (Yes, I check perms and they all look good).  I’m sure I’ll figure it out once I sit down and put my mind to it. 

Next up is testing Orange JeOS.  I’ve got to find a minimal CentOS/Red Hat install to use as a VMWare image for syslog collection and it looks pretty tight.  It kind of reminds me of my old favs OpenNA and Trustix…

No comments: